I don’t know about you but every so often I need a little sweet treat to get me through the day. Store bought vegan muffins are crammed full of additives and refined sugar so I needed an alternative. These healthy vegan muffins hit the right spot and are free of any nasties. They are easy to adapt too. I added chopped apricots to mine but chocolate chips, nuts and other fruits would all work equally well. To make them even more decadent, I added a homemade caramel sauce to top them with.
The caramel sauce ramps up the calorie count so if you really want to make these low calorie just skip the sauce. These make a very good mid-morning work snack. I took these into work and my team devoured them, they couldn’t even tell they were vegan.
When cooking just remember to keep a close eye on them as they are easy to overcook. Adjust the timings if you are using a fan oven as in a fan oven they’ll cook more quickly. Let them cool down before attempting to remove from the baking tin.
These vegan muffins are low in trans fats, low in refined sugar and entirely yummy. Scroll on for the recipe.
For the muffins:
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 100g maple syrup
- 300g self-raising flour
- 100g dried apricots, chopped
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 150ml coconut oil, plus extra for greasing
for the caramel sauce:
- 250g dates, chopped
- 125ml water
- 100g smooth peanut butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the muffins:
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4. Grease and line a muffin tray.
- Add all the muffin ingredients (minus the chopped apricots) to a bowl.
- Use an electric mixer and mix until thoroughly combined. Stir in the chopped apricots.
- Add a heaped tablespoon into each mould. Bake for 15–20 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Leave to cool for 10 minutes, then carefully use a knife to loosen at the sides and pop out the muffins. Leave to cool for another ten minutes whilst you make the sauce.
For the sauce:
- Soak the dates in hot water for ten minutes.
- Add all the sauce to a high-speed blender and pulse until completely smooth.
Once you have the sauce consistency to your liking spread onto the muffins and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 220 Total Fat: 10g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 263mg Carbohydrates: 32g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 16g Protein: 3g