These Vegan cupcakes are my go to snack when I need something a little decadent and sweet. Quick and easy to make with a nice sharp tang courtesy of the lime.
Next week I turn 38! I can’t believe 38 years have passed before I know it I’ll hit 40. The older I get the less I fear getting older though. There’s a certain thing that happens when you get past 35. You start being less fearful of getting older. I still remember dreading turning 30 but I don’t feel the same way about 40. So, next week I jet off to Paris for a long, fun-filled, romantic weekend with my other half. These vegan cupcakes would make the perfect addition to any birthday party spread.
So let’s get to the nitty gritty of these vegan cupcakes. Conventional cupcakes contain dairy products so for these I’ve replaced the eggs with flax eggs, the milk with almond milk and the butter with dairy free margarine. You could use the liquid from a can of chickpeas instead of the flax eggs. You can replace almond milk with soy or oat and for the cake mixture you can use olive oil instead of dairy-free margarine. Although, you’d still need to use the dairy-free butter for the frosting.
If lime isn’t your thing feel free to replace it with another citrus fruit like lemon. Feel free to omit the vanilla it works just as well without it.
This recipe is basic and quick. It can be varied in an undless amount of ways. Make it chocolate by adding cocoa powder in place of lemon juice, add dried fruits or nuts to the cake mix for something a bit different, replace the lime with orange juice to create orange cupcakes. The sky’s the limit with these vegan cupcakes. Your only limit is your imagination.
So let’s get to it. Read on to get my recipe for vanilla and lime vegan cupcakes.
For the cake mix:
- 250g self-raising flour
- 250g dairy-free margarine
- 3 flax eggs
- 250g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp vanilla essence
- juice of 1 lime
For the frosting:
- 200g icing sugar
- 100g dairy-free margarine
- 1 tbsp almond milk
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius (160 for fan ovens)
- In a large bowl, mix together the caster sugar and margarine for the cake mix.
- Gradually add in the flax eggs, if the mix starts to curdle add a little of the flour.
- Once all eggs have been added, mix in the flour a little at a time. You can use an electric mixer for this step.
- Stir in the vanilla essence and juice of one lime.
- Line a cupcake tray with paper cupcake cases and place a tablespoon of the mixture into each.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Whilst these are baking prepare your frosting.
- Add the icing sugar and margarine to a bowl. Slowly combine them using a wooden spoon. Once combined add in the milk and lime juice. Stir into a thick, smooth mixture. If it needs extra thickening add extra margarine, if it is too thick add a little extra milk. Put frosting in the fridge.
- Remove cakes from oven and test they are done with a skewer. If it comes out clean they're done. Remove from tin and leave to cool.
- Once cool, frost the tops of the cupcakes with a spoon and smooth it with a palette knife. Refrigerate.
These will keep for 3-4 days in the fridge in an airtight container.
To make these gluten free replace the flour with a gluten free alternative.
Serving Size:1 cupcake
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 274 Total Fat: 15g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 3g Unsaturated Fat: 12g Cholesterol: 9mg Sodium: 154mg Carbohydrates: 33g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 23g Protein: 2g