Vegan Korean Bibimbap is a super easy dish to make. It’s packed full of flavour, quick to prepare and great for getting your five a day.
I adore asian food – the food is so rich in flavour and is full of variety. This dish is Korean (like my kimchi recipe).I feel the way about my local oriental supermarket that most people feel about buying new shoes. So many exotic unusual delicious ingredients under one roof. Japanese food used to my go to cuisine but Korean is quickly becoming my favourite.
What other Korean dishes are vegan?
Japchae which is a kind of Korean Sweet Potato Noodle dish, Pajeon a spring Onion pancake), Joomuk-bap also known as Seasoned Rice Balls, Hobak Juk Pumpkin Porridge, Tofu Kangjung (General Tso’s Tofu) and of course Kimchi.
Bibimbap is the perfect way to use up all those leftovers but can be made from fresh vegetables too. Bibimbap is a popular dish in Korea – it is made up of a rice base topped with several types of fresh vegetables and gochujang sauce (red chili pepper paste). The vegetables are accompanied with tofu, meat or seafood. For this healthy vegan bibimbap recipe I used fried tofu cubes.
- 2 cups cooked Basmati rice
- 6 radishes, sliced
- 2 teaspoonss sesame seeds
- 250g tofu, chopped into 2 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 150g sliced mushrooms
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1/3 cucumber, grated
- Spring onions, sliced
- 200g spinach
- 3 teaspoons soy sauce
- gochujang sauce
- salt and pepper
- Cover tofu cubes in cornflour and fry in the oil and a teaspoon of the soy sauce. Fry for about 2 minutes on each side. You want them to be a golden colour. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of the sesame seeds. Remove tofu from the pan.
- Follow the step above for the mushrooms.
- Steam the spinach. Season.
- Put cooked rice at the bottom of a bowl. In sections add the tofu and vegetables followed by the gochujang. Stir to combine and enjoy!
If you're low-carb replace rice with cauliflower rice.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 657 Total Fat: 29g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 23g Cholesterol: 1mg Sodium: 1423mg Carbohydrates: 77g Fiber: 13g Sugar: 13g Protein: 29g